We will be friends forever, just you wait and see.

Friday, January 05, 2007

A day in the life of a Teacher

Notice how I now caps the initial letter of the word, TEACHER.

This is a show of my immense respect for the profession. And I am pissed that being a teacher only counts for a semi-profession. How is that label even good enough to essentially summarize what a teacher does and signifies!

After working as a relief teacher, even though I've only just started, I appreciate my teachers much much more now. I never knew how much footwork there was to be done before a lesson begins. Oh come on, all of us know the typical lesson plans thing that every teacher does. Oh and surely the teachers must prepare for the lessons using Powerpoint or Word and oh, perhaps she may also have to deal with other adminstrative matters such as attendance, CCA. And oh, maybe some other "stuff" like standing in front of the class with 20 pairs of eyes staring back at you, like unappetising fish eyes on a plate. Or maybe sometimes you've got to deal with students who sleep and nod off in class and pretend that they're listening. And how can we forget that teachers too must deal with lousy bosses. But you may say something totally crude and brainless I may add like WHERE GOT TOUGH BE A " T-CHER"! HIGH PAY WAD. SLACKER JOB.

I want to sock you in the eye if you say that.

Being a teacher requires you to have GRIT. You must GRIT your teeth when your student refuses to hand up his work. You must GRIT your teeth when MOE suddenly and randomly decides to change syllabus and you've got to re-do your notes totally. You must GRIT your teeth when you have endless deadlines to meet and unreasonable people to deal with. Most importantly, you must be tolerant of all the untold risks/dangers of being a teacher. You must learn how to control. You must be able to multi-task. You must be this, you must be that.. Seriously, can we give our teachers higher pays? Cos i think they seriously deserve it.


See, I'm multi-tasking now. Writing this entry, listening to songs, chatting in MSN and doing research for the next topic. Exhausting.

Oh, btw, SBS and SMRT's nutty price hikes is senselessly depleting my hard-earned pay. I have nothing to say to them, perhaps my clenched fist will help say it all. ARGH.

Au revoir!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home